Coming to you this week from the hot Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. I am definitely not complaining, but this isn’t just warm like California was, this is the humid air that doesn’t take long to start sweating in. We are staying at PGA National this week and I love it. Not just the resort itself (hello 2 acre pool), but this is a week where everything is on site. Restaurants, golf, etc is all right here, so although we have a courtesy car (Honda of course!), you don’t much need it. I LOVE weeks like that because it is so much easier with a baby when you aren’t dealing with car seats. We can put Hughes to bed, clip his bassinet into the stroller, and walk downstairs to dinner. Now that is what you call #winning.
I have a confession. I have done a terrible job at documenting Hughes’ milestones. I don’t keep a journal or a baby book. Although every grin, giggle, and new development is written on my heart, I don’t have anything captured anywhere. So, I’m going to try to put little monthly summaries up here. Yesterday was Hughes’ 4 month birthday, so without further adieu:
4 Months Old:
Stats: 26 inches long (83rd percentile) and weighs 12 lbs 10 oz (10th percentile)
Personality: Hughes is a little flirt. He talks, giggles, and bats his eyes constantly. And the guy has never met a stranger. A lot of babies reserve their smiles for people they recognize, but Hughes will give them to anyone he makes eye contact with. He is a laid-back, go with the flow type of baby, which I am extremely grateful for, but don’t mess with him if it’s feeding or nap time. He will let you know quickly as he goes 0 to 10 in about 5 seconds flat. We are going to have to work on patience as we get older 🙂 Hughes is also extremely inquisitive. He will stare around a room, at a tv, or out a window forever, like he’s trying to understand it. He is full of energy– talking and kicking almost every minute he’s awake.
Sleep: Hughes has never slept through the night. And I’m totally okay with that. He’s gone almost 6 hours a couple of times, but most nights he goes 4-5 hours when he initially goes down, and then wakes up every 3 hours after that. He nurses every time he wakes up, and he actually doesn’t even fully wakeup. He just wants to eat and goes straight back to sleep. Since he’s always had some slow weight gain issues and since those nighttime feedings are our most efficient ones, I’m not pushing him to sleep through the night. He goes to bed somewhere between 6:30 and 9:30pm. Ha. I know that’s quite a range, but you have to appreciate that we have quite a schedule. Or lack thereof. Between traveling, changing time zones, staying in different places, and occasional nighttime commitments, Hughes is not a regimented baby, but most nights he’s in bed by 7:30 or 8.
Schedule: I always thought I would be a scheduled mama. That’s my personality. I love the Babywise method and how well babies do on it. I applaud my friends who do it, but it didn’t take long for me to come to the realization that keeping Hughes on a strict schedule like that would be virtually impossible with the lifestyle we have. Every day of our life is different and truly, Hughes thrives on it. He has learned to nap anywhere, eat anywhere, fall asleep to noises, be woken up for early morning flights, and generally roll with the punches. I am thankful that God gave us a baby like him because I’m not sure what we would do with a high maintenance baby. But generally speaking, Hughes is on a rotating 3 hour schedule of eat, play, nap. He wakes up to eat around 6am, but will go back to sleep until we’re ready to get up with him and start the day, anywhere from 7-8:30.
Playtime: Hughes loves to play. He likes to lie on his back and kick, he likes to stand on your lap and jump, and sometimes he gets so excited that he squeals with delight. He talks a ton and constantly has his hands in his mouth, often grunting and talking while they are in there. He can fit his entire fist in his mouth and sometimes tries to shove them both in there. He’s drooling a ton but I don’t see any tooth buds peeking through yet. He learned to giggle a couple weeks ago and Chesson and my favorite thing to do now is try to get him to giggle for us. It is so stinkin adorable! Bath time and getting in pools and hot tubs is still one of his favorite things in the world so I think we have a definite water baby on our hands.
Other random notes:
– He has held his head up well from a very young age, but he continues to strengthen his neck. He will turn his head to follow you around a room and lift his head up to look around when he’s on his stomach.
– He’s rolled over a few times but doesn’t do it a lot.
– He’s in the hair grabbing stage. Long earrings and long hair are prime targets for him, and he’s rippedout handfuls of my hair (and almost ripped my earlobe) on a few occasions.
– He found himself in a mirror the other day for the first time. First he studied himself, then he talked to himself, then he started grinning. So funny.
– He will let anyone hold him. He knows me and he knows Chesson, but he doesn’t have any separationanxiety (yet at least).
– Our pediatrician told us that by 4 months, he should “find his feet” and start pulling on them. He never had done that until yesterday. At exactly 4 months, he suddenly went from staring at his feet all the time to pulling on them, trying to eat them, and thinking they are super fun.
– He is a cuddle bug. His best and favorite sleep is when he’s sleeping on someone. I don’t let him do it often because I want him to fall asleep by himself, but occasionally I’ll let him nap on me. He curls up, puts his face against my neck and makes little baby sighs. If he still does this when he’s 3, I’d be okay with it 😉
So there you have it. Not much golf in this post, but 5 years from now, this is what I’d rather look back at. Chesson played 9 yesterday and took the rest of the afternoon off. We took Hughes to the pool and had a very low-key afternoon before going out to dinner and then Tour fellowship. We love this tournament and are excited to see what the week holds!
P.S. Remember that big game last week? What a finish! Chesson and I had a bet riding on that game and the winner got to dress Hughes the next day. I’ll let the picture speak for itself 🙂